Julie Segal is Senior Analyst on the Solutions Finance & Impact Investing team at the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation. Julie manages the Foundation’s impact investments and leads the Solutions Finance Accelerator, a program developing emergent groups in Canada’s social and sustainable finance space. She recently played a lead in designing and publishing McConnell’s first annual Impact Investing Report.
Prior to McConnell, Julie worked across the subjects of sustainability, environmental advocacy and community engagement. Julie completed the University of Oxford’s Sustainable Finance Foundation Course in 2019 and graduated McGill University with a Bachelor of Commerce in 2017. She is an Associate at Youth Climate Lab and sits on the Board of two community non-profit organizations.
All Sessions by Julie SegalSee Full Agenda
Day 1: Dec 2, 2020
Assessing the Value of Your Low-Carbon Portfolio: Is it Saving or Destroying the Planet
Investors are focused on the reduction of both direct and indirect emissions, yet most ignore third party emissions, and this could be a problem. Determine the true impact of your portfolio through a more vigilant assessment of your investments. Build a strategy to:
- Ensure that focusing primarily on decarbonization does not miss the mark
- Assess the space of ESG investing and whether thematic investing vs. ESG factor integration has held up best
- Respond to the most common themes in ESG and impact investment and prepare for emerging themes
- Understand thematic investing as a risk reducer or a return enhancer
- Which asset classes are most prominent in low-carbon investing
Assess the value of your low-carbon portfolio to ensure you are not destroying the planet
Day 2: Dec 3, 2020