Jennifer Johnstone, President & CEO of Central City Foundation, an organization that has been working to improve the lives of people in need in Vancouver’s inner city since 1907. Today, CCF pursues this agenda through community-centered philanthropy rooted in a commitment to truth, justice and reconciliation.
Jennifer’s background is in non-profit management and community resource development. Over the past 30+ years, she has held key leadership positions with organizations including Vancity Community Foundation, Battered Women’s Support Services, Vancouver Status of Women, and Ballet British Columbia. An in-demand speaker and teacher of non-profit management and innovation, philanthropy and fundraising ethics, social purpose real estate, and inner-city issues, Jennifer is also a leader in the community for her continued mentorship of women and youth. Jennifer has long served as a Board member with several local organizations and AFP Greater Vancouver and is currently the Chair-elect of the Board of AFP Canada.
All Sessions by Jennifer JohnstoneSee Full Agenda
Day 1: May 3, 2023
Day 2: May 4, 2023
Central City Foundation: Towards a New model of Stewardship in pursuit of Truth, Justice and Reconciliation.
Many organisations are rethinking their mission-related investments – beyond impact to understanding mission alignment. As a foundation committed to investing in community-led solutions focused on building an inclusive community, Central City Foundation has been re-examining its model of stewardship through a decolonizing lens. This case study shares some of the learnings thus far on this journey:
- A review of Governance rooted in values – our DNA policies.
- From representation to inclusion and belonging
- Reflecting on the origins of wealth and the legacy of your foundation
- Exploring approaches to “returning value”, reparations and community investments aligned with your mission.
- Rethinking the value of social purpose real estate and land assets as part of mission-aligned investment decision making: implications and opportunities
- Assessing social & cultural implications and objectives: a deeper look at impact
Re-evaluate and re-invigorate your investment objectives.